We have finally gotten over the hurdle of OCRM officially allowing us to re-build out deck. We received the letter on the 29th of July. Our next hurdle is County Code Enforcement and Zoning approval. As of the 31st of July we have been in review for the plans submitted to replace our deck as it was. This process can take up to three weeks, and then they may have something that needs to conform with present day building codes. The ordeal continues, and we will keep this web-site up to date as the information is obtained.
The Army Corp of Engineers announced on the 6th of July that the beach re-nourishment project will begin in a couple of weeks. The schedule is to begin at the Surfside Pier and go North to the Myrtle Beach State Park. Then come back to the Surfside Pier and begin the South leg towards us, and finish at the Georgetown County Line just a couple of blocks south of the Garden City Pier.
We have our temporary beach access completed with a shower. This structure is part of the proposed total re-build, so we don't have to tear down and be without while under construction. In theory we could basically just add on to the temporary. Even this structure had to be engineered and submitted for permit. So, for the summer we have now two beach accesses with the one on the North side by the BBQ area and the center one straight off the vending area where we had the access that was destroyed.
Several owners have shown their concerns with the amount of time it is taking to get the approval for rebuilding the deck. Unfortunately, we are all very frustrated as to the way the bureaucracy has piled on more and more red tape to get approvals. We have complied with their requirements every step of the way and they still have us on hold. If we would have had partial destruction, we would have qualified as only having to repair our old deck. But, they ruled that our deck was completely destroyed and consequently falls under a whole new set of criteria.
Monday the 24th of April we will be performing our annual backflow preventers. Both domestic and fire lines. This particular year is the five year test which is more extensive. The water will be shut down at 10 am and everyone must be prepared for 4 hours of no water. The best thing would be to go shopping or just go out for the day. This is mandatory inspection by Grand Strand Water and Sewer, as well as the fire marshall.
We will begin waterproofing the building April 3rd on the North and South end of the building. Weather permitting the project should be accomplished in one week. They will pressure wash, then check the surface for cracks as well as check all window caulking. As they are coming down the building they will be viewing balcony ceilings for issues on the 2 & 6 stack as they go, and if any issues are found they will work off of the swing stage instead of bothering anyone from inside. Then finish up with elastomeric paint to manufacturers specifications.
The purpose of this website is to inform owners of projects and updates on repairs to the building. If there is any questions please feel free to contact the office and we will get back with you as soon as we can.
The board has approved to move forward with the water proofing of the North and South Face of the building. This will involves swing stage moving up and down the face inspecting wall surface, as well as check conditions of all windows and caulking. Any cracks in the outside wall surface is to be addressed by grinding, filling and finished off with coats of elastemeric paint. This project weather permitting should take approximately two weeks, and will begin at the end of March or beginning of April.
We obtained permitting, and are planning for a building power shut down on Tuesday March 21st. The reason is to change a bad breaker box on the north side of the building, and in place a disconnect box along with replace a motor on the transfer switch in the generator room. All power to the building must be off. First thing will be the transfer switch which after testing will then run the elevators and stairwell lights while the rest of the building is still down of power. We will have a full tank of diesel fuel and back up containers for the generator.
Hello everyone: This has been a very frustrating couple of months since the hurricane. Dealing with the various county agencies trying to get permits to rebuild our oceanfront deck has been and still is a challenge. Joe has had bids and we have been ready to go, but the approval process is not complete and every time we think we are there, something else is required. If you are doing your own renting, you might want to advise your renters that the facility may not be at 100%. Joe will keep this site posted as we progress.