Yesterday was a successful day getting everyone out of the building allowing us to begin the final stages of preparation. WPDE news crew will be the only ones here at their own risk, so the link below for local info should bring you to Atalaya. Everything on the ground level is off the floor above water levels of Mathew, and up in the building. Sand bags placed in front of elevator shaft to help hold back any water from the well. Bags placed in front of exterior doorways, just in case the storm is light enough to whereas the bags are useful.
Yesterday the governor of SC ordered evacuation of three zones on the coastal areas. Notices went up informing occupants the need to leave. Also we explained that the building will be shut down afternoon Tuesday. This involves securing the elevators at the top of the building and locked off. No EMS will service any issues over 40 MPH. Everyone needs to go.
The restoration company FSA that was here for post storm inspection after Mathew has been scheduled and put on their schedule to be here right the storm.
Yesterday we were able to go through all vacant units bringing in balcony furniture, and flipping all 220 breakers except the a/c for now to avoid power surge in the event of an outage, as well as begin moving office material and equipment, maintenance items, as well as housekeeping off the floors and into our safe unit in the building.
We will use the intercom for announcing to occupied units to pull in furniture, or ask us for help, because we will be going through those units today or tomorrow.
We have entered the peak of hurricane season with much activity. With Hurricane Florence having our coastline in her sights we are in total preparation mode. We have handed out information to arriving guests, along with speaking to them to be aware of updated information. We will be bringing in balcony furniture starting today Sunday the 9th. We have made contact with every contractor that was involved with Mathew aftermath to hopefully insure the same clean up time if needed.
The waterproofing on the east side that was scheduled for fall has been accelerated due to some water intrusions in closets of the 2-3 stack created by wind driven rains. Not bad, but enough to be proactive prior to peak hurricane season. The contractor has been approved for the entire east side of the building including balcony floors to be re-coated.
The attached link is a request form to fill out and then you send it directly to insurance company. They will then take it from there by sending to your lender. So it is highly important that you fill out properly. This should streamline the request procedure in order to keep your mortgage company satisfied.
We are moving along with our continuing projects around Atalaya in preparation for the season. In April we will be performing our backflow preventer testing that is mandated by Grand Strand Water & Sewer. This requires the building to have water shutdown for an hour or so. If anyone is planning to change out old gate valves to ball valves for your water heater that is the time, but coordination is most important, because we can not keep building shut down longer than we need to.
Be advised that the 1st qtr. billing you received incorrectly states that you should write check to Atalaya Interval. Please make your checks to Atalaya Horizontal. There was a mix up at the management company.
We are pleased to announce that County Code signed off as completely approved our deck re-build. We have two sets of steps leading to the beach as well as a ramp on the North end with a shower. Also we have two showers set-up as you come in through the door as before.
We also repaired and replaced storefronts windows around the indoor pool with removable panels. These are deigned to be removed with an impending storm with surge that will need to pass through pool area as did with Mathew.
We were granted our variance from the Zoning Board of Appeals in order for us to build the 10 feet on the North and Southside of the deck towards the property lines, so we can have at least what we had before the storm. What this means is we are on record for this and should not have the issues we had getting on record obtaining permitting in the event this ever happens again.