Yesterday resulted in the ground floor of the Resort staying dry. The winds came out of the west keeping ocean waters in check. The first high tide did not make it to the rocks due to the winds keeping the water away. Today is forecasted for winds to come out of the east during the next two high tides, but hopefully with winds being less than yesterday will result in a low high tide.
We accomplished the securing of the building as well as can be without picking up the building and moving it out of harms way. We've contacted County Police to patrol when they are in the area due to opened areas from window removal, as well as park their vehicles if they need to do paperwork in the parking lot for added presence.
Yesterday was successful with the removal of storefront window from the indoor pool and under the awning area where they broke last in hopes to let mother nature come in on one side and go right out thru the open areas on the other side. Can't fight her, so respect her. We'll probably start feeling some wind effects during the day today.
Final office materials will be going up stairs today using the thought of what will we need to pick up where we left off if the office was totally wiped out.
Yesterday was a successful day getting everyone out of the building allowing us to begin the final stages of preparation. WPDE news crew will be the only ones here at their own risk, so the link below for local info should bring you to Atalaya. Everything on the ground level is off the floor above water levels of Mathew, and up in the building. Sand bags placed in front of elevator shaft to help hold back any water from the well. Bags placed in front of exterior doorways, just in case the storm is light enough to whereas the bags are useful.
Yesterday the governor of SC ordered evacuation of three zones on the coastal areas. Notices went up informing occupants the need to leave. Also we explained that the building will be shut down afternoon Tuesday. This involves securing the elevators at the top of the building and locked off. No EMS will service any issues over 40 MPH. Everyone needs to go.
The restoration company FSA that was here for post storm inspection after Mathew has been scheduled and put on their schedule to be here right the storm.
Yesterday we were able to go through all vacant units bringing in balcony furniture, and flipping all 220 breakers except the a/c for now to avoid power surge in the event of an outage, as well as begin moving office material and equipment, maintenance items, as well as housekeeping off the floors and into our safe unit in the building.
We will use the intercom for announcing to occupied units to pull in furniture, or ask us for help, because we will be going through those units today or tomorrow.
We have entered the peak of hurricane season with much activity. With Hurricane Florence having our coastline in her sights we are in total preparation mode. We have handed out information to arriving guests, along with speaking to them to be aware of updated information. We will be bringing in balcony furniture starting today Sunday the 9th. We have made contact with every contractor that was involved with Mathew aftermath to hopefully insure the same clean up time if needed.
The waterproofing on the east side that was scheduled for fall has been accelerated due to some water intrusions in closets of the 2-3 stack created by wind driven rains. Not bad, but enough to be proactive prior to peak hurricane season. The contractor has been approved for the entire east side of the building including balcony floors to be re-coated.
The attached link is a request form to fill out and then you send it directly to insurance company. They will then take it from there by sending to your lender. So it is highly important that you fill out properly. This should streamline the request procedure in order to keep your mortgage company satisfied.
We are moving along with our continuing projects around Atalaya in preparation for the season. In April we will be performing our backflow preventer testing that is mandated by Grand Strand Water & Sewer. This requires the building to have water shutdown for an hour or so. If anyone is planning to change out old gate valves to ball valves for your water heater that is the time, but coordination is most important, because we can not keep building shut down longer than we need to.