Today we will be pulling furniture off balconies into units. We will also have contractors here to help with preparation helping to clear office as well as remaining ground floor areas that were affected last year. If you are planning to arrive tomorrow you may run into lanes being turned out of the State if the Gov. of SC declares mandatory evacuation. Therefore we are encouraging to hold off on traveling into Atalaya or even the Myrtle Beach, Garden City areas until after the weekend. Sunday is the day the critical turn of the storm will be made into Florida.
We are in preparation mode for the arrival of Hurricane Irma. We have reached out to the contractors that were here last year for clean-up from Matthew, and hope to achieve clean-up as quickly as last year. IF you are planning to come to Atalaya this weekend it is advisable to wait until after the storm due to very possible mandatory evacuation.
If mandatory evacuation is ordered then personnel here at Atalaya are responsible for the property only. If you remain we can not be responsible for your safety. Websites to review are:
As of the 1st of September we had in our possession the permit for our oceanfront deck. The deck was approved as designed based on previous size minus 10 feet on North and South side of deck from set back lines. We have filed for a variance for the review and hopefully approval to then add to the permitted deck.
We have decided to wait until peak of hurricane season past to drop material and begin construction. Project is projected to take 6 to 8 weeks weather permitting.
We have finally gotten over the hurdle of OCRM officially allowing us to re-build out deck. We received the letter on the 29th of July. Our next hurdle is County Code Enforcement and Zoning approval. As of the 31st of July we have been in review for the plans submitted to replace our deck as it was. This process can take up to three weeks, and then they may have something that needs to conform with present day building codes. The ordeal continues, and we will keep this web-site up to date as the information is obtained.
The Army Corp of Engineers announced on the 6th of July that the beach re-nourishment project will begin in a couple of weeks. The schedule is to begin at the Surfside Pier and go North to the Myrtle Beach State Park. Then come back to the Surfside Pier and begin the South leg towards us, and finish at the Georgetown County Line just a couple of blocks south of the Garden City Pier.
We have our temporary beach access completed with a shower. This structure is part of the proposed total re-build, so we don't have to tear down and be without while under construction. In theory we could basically just add on to the temporary. Even this structure had to be engineered and submitted for permit. So, for the summer we have now two beach accesses with the one on the North side by the BBQ area and the center one straight off the vending area where we had the access that was destroyed.
Several owners have shown their concerns with the amount of time it is taking to get the approval for rebuilding the deck. Unfortunately, we are all very frustrated as to the way the bureaucracy has piled on more and more red tape to get approvals. We have complied with their requirements every step of the way and they still have us on hold. If we would have had partial destruction, we would have qualified as only having to repair our old deck. But, they ruled that our deck was completely destroyed and consequently falls under a whole new set of criteria.
Monday the 24th of April we will be performing our annual backflow preventers. Both domestic and fire lines. This particular year is the five year test which is more extensive. The water will be shut down at 10 am and everyone must be prepared for 4 hours of no water. The best thing would be to go shopping or just go out for the day. This is mandatory inspection by Grand Strand Water and Sewer, as well as the fire marshall.
We will begin waterproofing the building April 3rd on the North and South end of the building. Weather permitting the project should be accomplished in one week. They will pressure wash, then check the surface for cracks as well as check all window caulking. As they are coming down the building they will be viewing balcony ceilings for issues on the 2 & 6 stack as they go, and if any issues are found they will work off of the swing stage instead of bothering anyone from inside. Then finish up with elastomeric paint to manufacturers specifications.
The purpose of this website is to inform owners of projects and updates on repairs to the building. If there is any questions please feel free to contact the office and we will get back with you as soon as we can.