We got through the first phase of the drain project at the street. While getting to the front of the building there were a couple of issues that have prolonged the project at the front of the building. Parking spaces have been re-arranged to still have our same number of handicap spaces. Due to this as well as weather this project will probably be ongoing until the end of the year.
Our building drain project hit a snag in the road literally. While unearthing the area for the box in the street it was discovered that the main water line that feeds the entire area was right in the way of the drainage pipe that is to be installed. So in conjunction with Grand Strand Water and Sewer we have a scheduled shutdown for Tuesday the 27th from 9am - 3 pm. The water line will be cut and re-routed to avoid the drain line path, because the drain line has to be in the position of the pipe installed North and South of the property 20 years ago.
Our projects have begun for the fall after being postponed by hurricanes we were able to continue on with our water proofing of the building. We are hopeful to be completed with the 2-3 stacks within the next week or so weather permitting.
We weathered the storm well with no rain event. It was all wind with 50 mph wind gusts blowing sand everywhere. Today is cleanup day getting sand off corridors, also sweeping up on the ground floor. We got a lot of sand in the outdoor pool, and it may take a day or so to clear it. The oldest section of the outdoor pool fence along the driveway where the flower planters are was damaged a bit, but we will be able to repair ourselves.
Today Michael is on track to move quickly past us to the west producing Tropical Force winds with gusts close to 50 MPH. We have shut down one elevator at the breaker to protect any surges until the storm has totally passed along with any residual weather.
The local weather has down graded the rains to around 1 inch throughout the day with occasional downpours. We will monitor the corridors to assure the plastic and towels are in place.
Yesterday we successfully accomplished pulling furniture in and laying out plastic with towels at the front doors. After testing the doors they can be opened and closed without packing falling. Also the other things were to stack pool chairs and bring in anything that can be a projectile.
Today we will monitor the winds to determine shutting an elevator down and wrap the motor over car to protect from wind driven rain. According to the 4am track of the National Weather Service it appears that Michael shifted a bit to the west.
As Hurricane Michael heads towards the Gulf Coast we are expecting him to arrive here early Thursday morning, so we are placing plastic with bath towel at the thresholds of every front door to help prevent water intrusions with the wind driven rain from the south - southwest. Officials are calling for 35-50 mile per hour winds and 4-5 inches of rain.
We will also be bringing in balcony furniture in the event the winds get greater than anticipated.
This week will have crews working on, and around balconies from swing stage. There may be instances where they need to be on the balcony, but that will be from the swing stage to work on ceilings, and checking caulking around sliding glass doors. This will be ongoing for the 2-3 stack this week.
We are open as of today.
We were able to get parking lot across the street re-sealed yesterday. Cars need to stay off until Monday to allow the sealant proper curing time. Our neighbors have permitted us to use some parking under their buildings until Monday morning.
With favorable weather forecasted for next week our waterproofing project should move along nicely, and if all goes well the contractors may be moving on to the 4-5 stack within the next two weeks.
Elevators have been running a whole day today with new parts without issue, and were used a lot getting FSA throughout the building re-installing carpet padding in approximately 20 units, as well as putting units back together as they were prior to the storm. They should be finished today, or tomorrow at the latest.
We are still planning on the lot across the street being re-sealed tomorrow unless contractor calls it off due to weather. We have made arrangements for parking under our neighbors to the north and south of us until Monday am. Parking passes will be required.